Pacific Business News
Crane Watch | Commercial Real Estate
By Janis L. Magin
December 10, 2020
Three development teams of Hawaii and international partners have made the state’s short list of groups to bid on the public-private partnership redevelopment of the Aloha Stadium complex in Honolulu into a mixed-use sports and entertainment district.
The three entities were chosen from a request for qualifications process for what the state is calling the “New Aloha Stadium Entertainment District” that started in late March. The state received six responses by the May 26 deadline and selected the three priority-listed teams, whose members include international firms experienced in public infrastructure and P3 projects and several prominent Hawaii developers, design firms and general contractors.
Kobayashi Group and BlackSand Capital entity BSC Acquisitions LLC are working with Canada-based P3 developer EllisDon Capital Inc. as part of the Waiola Development Partners group, whose partners include Design Partners and Nan Inc.
Hawaiian Dredging Construction Co. teamed with two international development partners experienced in P3s as an equity member and an international construction firm as a construction team as part of Aloha Stadium District Partners, whose design team includes Honolulu-based RMA Architects.
And Honolulu-based KYA Design Group has teamed with San Francisco-based Gensler on design, with Nordic PCL Construction for construction as part of the Aloha Stadium Hui Hilinai.
The project aims to replace the aging Aloha Stadium with a new sports stadium surrounded by entertainment venues, retail, restaurants, residential, hotels and recreational sites as well as cultural amenities and green space.
The state Department of Accounting and General Services is working on the next step, a request-for-proposals process that will start in mid-2021 and is aiming to execute a contract with the selected P3 partner by the end of 2021.
An environmental impact statement and master-planning process is currently underway with the state’s master planning consultant, Crawford Architects, and is expected to be completed by fall 2021.
Here are the members of the three teams:
Aloha Stadium District Partners:
- John Laing Investments Limited, Civil & Building North America Inc. and Hawaiian Dredging Construction Co. Inc. as lead equity members;
- NBBJ Hawaii Inc. and RMA Architects, design team;
- Civil & Building North America and Hawaiian Dredging Construction Co. Inc., construction team;
- Aramark Management Services LP and Honeywell International Inc., services, or maintenance, provider.
Aloha Stadium Hui Hilinai:
- Plenary Americas US Holdings Inc. and PCL Investments Canada Inc., lead equity members;
- M. Arthur Gensler Jr. & Associates Inc. and Honolulu-based KYA Inc. as the design team;
- Nordic PCL Construction, construction team;
- Johnson Controls Inc., services, or maintenance provider.
Waiola Development Partners:
- Canada-based P3 developer EllisDon Capital Inc., Honolulu-based Kobayashi Group LLC and BSC Acquisitions II LLC, lead equity members;
- Design Partners Inc. and Manica Architecture, design team;
- New York-based Turner Construction Co. and Honolulu-based Nan Inc., construction team;
- Spectra, services, or maintenance, provider.
COMPANIES IN THIS ARTICLE
Hawaiian Dredging Construction Co. Inc.
READ FULL ARTICLE HERE.